Anthony A. Echelle
Anthony A. Echelle, Regents Professor & Curator of Fishes.Fish Biology; Molecular/Biochemical Systematics; Population Structure; Conservation Biology.
Ph.D., 1970, University of Oklahoma
My research is in fish biology with an emphasis on molecular systematics, genetic structure of natural populations, and the status and conservation biology of fishes in the southwestern United States. Ongoing projects include studies of hybridization in pupfishes, phylogenetics of pupfishes and speckled chubs, and conservation genetics of fishes in the southwest.
- Echelle, A. A. 2007. The western pupfish clade (Cyprinodontidae: Cyprinodon): mtDNA divergence times and drainage history. In: Late Cenozoic Drainage History of the Southwestern Great Basin and Lower Colorado River Region: Geologic and Biotic Perspective (M. Reheis and R. Hershler, eds.). Special Paper, Geological Society of America. In press.
- Echelle, A. F., and A. A. Echelle. 2007. Distribution and conservation of genetic variation in remnant populations of the Pecos Pupfish (Cyprinodon pecosensis, Cyprinodontidae. In: Edwin P. Pister: Conservationist. (A. Contreras and Ma. De L. Lozano-Vilano, eds.). Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey, Mexico. In Press.
- Echelle, A. A., L. Fuselier, R. A. Van Den Bussche, C. M. L. Rodriguez, and M. L. Smith. 2006. Molecular systematics of Hispaniolan pupfishes (Cyprinodontidae: Cyprinodon): Implications for the biogeography of insular Caribbean fishes. Mol. Phyl. Evol. 39:855-864.
- Davis, S. K., A. A. Echelle, and R. A. Van Den Bussche. 2006. Lack of cytonuclear genetic introgression despite long-term hybridization and backcrossing between two poeciliid fishes (Gambusia heterochir and G. affinis). Copeia 2006: 351-359.
- Echelle, A. A., E. W. Carson, A. F. Echelle, R. A. Van Den Bussche, T. E. Dowling, and A. Meyer. 2005. Historical biogeography of the New World pupfish genus Cyprinodon (Teleostei: Cyprinodontidae). Copeia 2005: 220-239.