Andrew R. Dzialowski
Andrew R. Dzialowski, Assistant Professor.
Aquatic Ecology, Invasive Species, Zooplankton Community Structure, Reservoir Ecology.
Research in my lab explores how biotic interactions, resource availability and anthropogenic disturbances interact to influence the structure and function of aquatic ecosystems. A major focus of my research program is the ecology of invasive species. My students and I are currently conducting laboratory, observational, and field studies to determine how abiotic and biotic factors influence the success of the invasive Daphnia lumholtzi. We are also interested in understanding how the ecological impacts of invaders such as the zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha) vary along environmental gradients both within and between reservoirs. In addition to our work on invasive species we are conducting research to determine: 1) how local and regional processes influence zooplankton community structure, 2) how changes in zooplankton diversity impact ecosystem function, and 3) the factors promoting nuisance algal blooms and the development of techniques to monitor and manage these blooms.
- Dzialowski, A.R. and W. Jessie (2009) Zebra mussels negate or mask the positive effects of nutrient enrichment on algal biomass in experimental mesocosms: a preliminary mesocosm study. Journal of Plankton Research, 31, 1407-1425
- Dzialowski, A.R., V.H. Smith, D.H. Huggins, F.J. deNoyelles, N.C. Lim, B.A. Baker and J. Beury (2009) Development of predictive models for geosmin-related taste and odor in Midwestern U.S. drinking water reservoirs. Water Research, 43, 2829-2840.
- Hall, E.K., A.R. Dzialowski, S.W. Stoxen, and J.B. Cotner (2009) The effect of temperature on the coupling between phosphorus and growth in lacustrine bacterioplankton communities. Limnology and Oceanography, 54, 880-889.
- Dzialowski, A.R., S.H. Wang, N.C. Lim, J. Beury and D.G. Huggins (2008) Effects of sediment resuspension on nutrient concentrations and algal biomass in Central Plains reservoirs. Lake and Reservoir Management, 24, 313-320.
- Dzialowski, A.R. and V.H. Smith (2008) The effects of consumer identity and diversity on freshwater ecosystem function vary with nutrient enrichment. Freshwater Biology, 53, 148-158.
- Dzialowski, A.R., J.T. Lennon and V.H. Smith (2007) Food web structure provides biotic resistance against plankton invasion attempts. Biological Invasions, 9, 257-267.
- Dzialowski, A.R., S.H. Wang, W.W. Spotts, N.C. Lim and D.H. Huggins (2005) Nutrient limitation of phytoplankton growth in Central Plains reservoirs, USA. Journal of Plankton Research, 27, 587-595.
- Wang, S.H., A.R. Dzialowski, J.O. Meyer, F. deNoyelles N.C. Lim, W.W. Spotts and D.H. Huggins (2005) Relationships between cyanobacterial production and the physical and chemical properties of a midwestern reservoir, USA. Hydrobiologia, 541, 29-43.
- Lennon, J.T., V.H. Smith and A.R. Dzialowski (2003) Invasibility of plankton food webs along a trophic state gradient. Oikos, 102, 191-203.